Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Monday

Yesterday we read from Ephesians 1:

"I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead..."


It's not over. We talked about it on Sunday but what does it mean for my Monday? God's Easter, resurrection power is available every day this week. But....Monday means back to work, school, garbage, dirty diapers, rain and more rain and yard work. I've personally got two cars that need some attention while trying to fulfill requests of my better half to run to Florence to pick up a cheap dresser, Milford for a bedframe and John and I are heading to Columbus for a swim meet on Saturday. O yea, and Sunday's coming again! There are decisions to be made at Cornerstone, meetings to attend, a message to write, time in the Word, time listening to God's voice, time to sit, time to spend with family.


The power I need isn't to get everything done more quickly. I need discernment and wisdom and grace and the power to say, "No" when I'm trying to do too much.


I asked the question yesterday: "Is anything to hard for God?" Of course we know the answer but sometimes we try to apply it in ways that simply won't work. We can't fill up our week with activity, effectively pushing God out, and hope that God's power will miraculously be available. The power God makes available in us is the power to become more like Jesus.


His power reminds me that it's not over when - I don't know what to do - my life is infiltrated by disaster because of the decisions of others - I'm anxious about a test - my body won't stop aching and nobody can tell me why - I'm dealing with dysfunctional extended family - I fail and when I sin.


I believe I can schedule God out of my life and that Easter power simply can't work its miracles. Putting myself in a position for that power to work becomes my goal. What will you do to make yourself available to God's work in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment